Panagia Spiliani

Nisyros - Panagia SpillianiThe monastery of Panagia Spiliani is built at the top of a hill northwest of Mandraki. Around the monastery retained sections
of the Paleokastro wall still exist, whereas the castle is protected by the «Castle of the Knights of Rhodes» built by the Knights of St. John in the early of 14th century. The biggest part of the monastery is built in a cave. The cave is divided into two churches. The north is dedicated to the Kimisi tis Theotokou (Assumption of Mary) and the south, Agios Charalambos (Saint Charalampos).
The wooden temple of the church is remarkable, and in some of its parts the original gilding is saved. Here we read the inscription «ΑΨΚΕ-1725» (APSKE΄-1725), the date of its manufacture. Inside the temple there are many built-in parts of older temples.
The Lord’s Table is based on a Roman altar, decorated with garlands. The Lord’s Table is part of the marble column with the inscription «ΑΡΙΣΤΩΝ … ΤΕΥΚΛΕΥΣ» (ARISTON … TEFKLEFS) Section of the old marble temple is saved probably from 10th-12th century.
The following pictures/icons can be found in the temple:

1.Jesus Christ, silver coated, from the second half of the 18th century.
2.Theotoko Vrefokratousa (Virgin Mary the Infant-Holder), which we read that was renovated in 1798. The right hand of Virgin Mary is larger than the left, and according to tradition the hand holds the small icon of Mary found in the area of “Vretou” and is assumed to be the work of the Evangelist Luke. The icon has two sides and on the back Agios Nikolaos (Saint Nikolas) is portrayed.
3.Kimisi tis Theotokou (Assumption) silver coated.
4.Agios Charalampos (Saint Charalampos) of the 18th century, silver coated.

Rate this item
(6 votes)
back to top